Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Horses That Made Me

I could start this blog with a long list of things that I've accomplished, where I've ridden over the years, and who my trainers were, but all of that would not make a hill of beans if the horses that touched my heart hadn't been there. So, here are the horses who truly made me the rider and trainer that I am today.

Felicia

My first love. To be honest, I don’t know what breed she was, or even how old she was, but I knew her chestnut coat sparkled, and her feet could fly. I was seven when we met for the first time at Touch-of-Dutch’s Pony Camp. She introduced me to all things horse, from grooming to jumping. I was a pretty quick learner, even back then. A year later she was permanently retired as a riding horse due to a hoof injury. It absolutely broke my heart.

Blake

The Black Stallion -ok, he was a gelding, but he didn’t act like it!- A retired race horse, and my second love at Touch-of-Dutch. He taught me how to really jump, and how to be balanced because it was that or fall with his trot! He was a stubborn boy, and enjoyed playing “keep away” with his head if there was ever a bridle in my hand, but he made me a better rider, a tougher girl, and a lot smarter about getting my way.

Sonata

At eighteen years old, you’d think this mare would have been calm, cool, and collected, but this Arab was hot to trot, and loved to canter. She was the first horse I ever cantered on, it was on accident, but who really cares?

Patrick

Fast forward eight years, and I finally got a horse of my very own. Ok, he was a lease, but he was mine. I paid for him. I trained him. I cleaned his messes. He. Was. Mine. He was a varnish roan Appaloosa yearling, and not a particularly pretty one at that, but he could have been beat with an ugly stick, and as far as my trainer is concerned, he was, and I would have just loved him all that much more. At first though, it was not all love. It took FOUR people to shove him into a trailer from a little stall (he was a field baby), and half the day for him to decide he wanted to come out of the trailer. If I looked at him- he jumped- and touching him was impossible, much less love on him as much as I was dying to do! Within a couple hours, I had him leading on a loose line (he was not broke to lead). On the second day, he was following me around with no lead. On day three, I had him standing on the platform. This horse taught me how to teach a horse. He taught me how to bond with another species. He only strengthened my love for horses. He is the reason I know all I do now. In a little over two months, I took a horse who had never been touched , and taught him to be lead, stand tied, trailer perfectly, deal with water, come when called, deal with a bridle and a saddle. I was never allowed to get on him, but if he he had been old enough, I would have in a heart beat! Above everything else, this horse taught me the importance of ground work.

Shirock

A ten year old RMHA/KMSHA mare with a serious lazy issue. She was the first horse I was allowed to ride at Hidden Jem Ranch. I had been working with Patrick all summer on the ground, but when I sold him, I didn't want to stop playing, so I kept hanging around the barn, and helping, and she let me ride Shirock! This was the best broke horse I have ever met. She will absolutely put up with anything! Probably because she is owned by my trainer’s daughter, and she has been put through a LOT of obstacles! She is THE sweetest mare ever, and also the easiest to ride. This may be because of her laziness, which is where she helped me. Shirock likes to eat. I like to go forward. Shirock taught me how to properly persuade a horse to move forward. You can flog her all you want, but if she doesn't want to move; she’s not going anywhere, but ask nicely, and she will.

Drover

A five year old Rocky Mountain Gelding, and the son of Shirock. He belongs to my trainer’s husband, but I definitely claim him as mine. He has go. I like go. This boy, although usually inflicted with as much laziness as his momma when he is away from home has a motor that will go all day on the trails, and a gait that you can drink wine off of! Of course I haven't tried that...but if you wanted to you could! He’s an absolute trooper too! He always puts up with anything I ask him to do! We've jumped logs, raced barrels, cantered across fields, crossed water, ran bareback, and everything else I've come up with, and he has almost never batted an eye! This boy has taught me so much, from how to sit a canter, to how to fix a pace. He is by far my favorite on the farm, and I don't have quite the bond with him that I had with Patrick, but I trust him with my life.

Elle

I should say Princess Elle, because that’s how she acts. seven years old, 14.1 hands, and definitely the diva of the farm! Shirock may be the boss mare, but this one is the vice president. She is also the mother of half the herd, so that helps. She has taught me problem solving skills. She slammed my knee into the gate, and I learned to turn her head till she stops. She wanted to go forward, and I learned to make her stand there. Our personalities clash like fire and ice, but its good for both of us. She has helped me the most outside of the barn. I now know how to deal with people who bug me. I know how to smile and nod and say "that's nice" when really all I want to do is slap them. As much as we butt heads, I love Elle, and she really is a good mare. 


Rhonan

This guy is a little black beauty, and the son of Elle. GORGEOUS black three year old with long locks, and eyes that you can get lost in! Only thing is, he’s three, and needs more work. He does fantastic normally, but he’s still a kid at heart. Noisy Water bottles will kill him, and so will a moving flower! He's teaching me to be soft with my hands, and to give a "good boy" at the slightest try. Patrick also taught me this, but it's completely different when you’re in the saddle.

Talon

An equally gorgeous black almost stallion (he going to be, but we changed our mind) yearling, and also Elle’s baby. He has taught me how to be calm, while still always being on the look out. When Elle had him, she was viciously protective. If you looked at talon, she would have bit your face off, and two weeks after he was born, Elle was sent to be bred again, so he wasn’t handled nearly as much as he would have been under normal circumstances. That combined with the neighbors hand feeding him over the fence, and he’s nippy with few manners. After lots of work, he’s better now, but I still don’t trust him.

Wingnut

My first foal. For the short 5 days he was with me, I loved him every second, and at a mere three days old, when he walked away from his momma to put his fuzzy little muzzle on my thigh; I knew he loved me back. Technically, he was not MY baby, but every time I walked into his stall, his ears perked, and I had a connection with him, and I’m going to claim him.

Lightening
My most recent horse to play with, and first "real" barrel horse! This guy is a 6 year old, green broke Quarter Horse, and is my 4-H project horse for 2013-2014! He is very smart and willing to learn, but we haven't quite spent enough time together yet to be on the same wavelength. Right now we're learning how to work with each other, and I'm teaching him how to run barrels as his owner is teaching me how to teach him!

No comments:

Post a Comment